March Recipes of the Month
Mint-Chocolate Meringue Cookies
- 3 egg whites
- ⅛ teaspoon cream of tartar
- ⅔ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted
- ¼ teaspoon mint extract
- ⅓ cup mini chocolate chips or finely chopped bittersweet chocolate
- Preheat the oven to 300°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper, securing the edges with tape.
- With an electric mixer, beat the egg whites and cream of tartar until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time. Add cocoa powder and beat until the mixture becomes glossy. Add mint extract. Gently fold in chips.
- Place mixture in a pastry bag fitted with a ½- or ¾-inch tip. Pipe 1-inch rounds onto the parchment, leaving 1 to 2 inches between cookies. With damp fingertips, press down any peaks.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, rotating pans halfway through baking. Place baking sheets on a cooling rack for 10 minutes before peeling cookies off the parchment.
If a pastry bag is not available, spoon mixture into a zip-top bag and snip a ½-inch hole in the bottom corner of the bag. Batter can also be dropped with a tablespoon onto the parchment.
Baked Sweet Potato Wedges
- Cooking spray
- 4 large sweet potatoes, scrubbed, eyes removed, cut lengthwise into 3/4-inch wedges
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Dash of cayenne pepper (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Lightly spray nonstick baking dish or cast-iron skillet with cooking spray. Spray potato wedges with cooking spray and toss together with all spices in a bowl.
- Place potatoes in a single layer in the baking dish or skillet. Bake for 20 minutes. Turn over and bake an additional 20 minutes.