July Recipes of the Month
Summer Fruit Salad
Image source: /content/dam/soi/en/web/cms/benefits/stateemployee/bewell/bewellillinoiswebinars/publishingimages/hally-soi.jpg
- 2/3 cup fresh orange juice
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups cubed fresh pineapple
- 2 cups strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 3 kiwi fruit, peeled and sliced
- 3 bananas
- 2 oranges, peeled and sectioned
- 1 cup seedless grapes
- 2 cups blueberries
Image source: /content/dam/soi/en/web/cms/benefits/stateemployee/bewell/foodforthought/publishingimages/pages/recipes-of-the-month-july2021/fruit-salad.png
- Bring orange juice, lemon juice, brown sugar, orange zest, and lemon zest to a boil in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla extract. Set aside to cool.
- Layer the fruit in a large, clear glass bowl in this order: pineapple, strawberries, kiwi fruit, bananas, oranges, grapes, and blueberries. Pour the cooled sauce over the fruit. Cover and refrigerate for 3 to 4 hours before serving.
Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Snack Bread
Image source: /content/dam/soi/en/web/cms/benefits/stateemployee/bewell/foodforthought/publishingimages/pages/recipes-of-the-month-july2021/healthlink.jpg
- 1 egg
- 3 medium ripe bananas (about 1½ cups)
- 3½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1/3 cup salted natural peanut butter (creamy or crunchy)
- 2½ tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 1/4 cup organic cane sugar
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2-3 tablespoons agave or maple syrup
- 3/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1¼ cups almond meal
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup gluten-free flour blend
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup peanut butter chips
- A pinch sea salt
Image source: /content/dam/soi/en/web/cms/benefits/stateemployee/bewell/foodforthought/publishingimages/july21/food4thought-july-recipe-bananabread.jpg
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line a loaf pan with parchment paper or spray with nonstick spray.
- Whisk egg and mix in banana and mash thoroughly.
- Then mix all ingredients with almond milk and stir in chocolate and peanut butter chips last.
- Pour into loaf pan and bake for 1 hour to 1 hour, 15 minutes. It should feel firm and be crackly on top.
- Let cool completely before cutting the loaf into slices.