September 2022 Recipes of the Month
Hally Health offers a variety of virtual demos and classes through Facebook Live. Among their most popular videos are the live cooking demonstrations, which show you how to prepare simple, healthy and tasty meals. The live cooking demo will post on Facebook.com/HallyHealth at 1 p.m., on the third Wednesday of the month.
Puerto Rican Pernil (Roast Pork)
In celebration of Hispanic Heritage Month try an authentic dish to add to your culinary collection!!!
Brought to you by:
- 8-10 pounds bone-in pork shoulder (picnic cut or Boston butt)
- 1 head of garlic, peeled
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons adobo
- 2 packets of sazón (optional)
- Rinse pork in cold water and pat dry. With a paring knife, stab 1-inch slits all over the pork, top and bottom.
- In a food processor (or by hand if you have a pilón!), blend all the garlic, olive oil, black pepper and oregano until smooth. Fill each slit in the pork with about a teaspoon of the garlic paste. Sprinkle all sides of the roast with the adobo and sazón (if using) and rub pork with the spices. Place in a roasting pan that has sides at least 2 inches deep, cover with foil and refrigerate overnight.
- When ready to cook, preheat oven to 350°F. Leave the roast covered with foil and bake for 4-5 hours, approximately 30-45 minutes per pound. Pork should read 180°F on an internal thermometer and shred easily with a fork.
- Uncover roast and bake for 15-20 minutes to crisp up the fat or broil at 500°F for 10 minutes, watching carefully not to burn.
- 1 serving of smoked salmon (about 2 oz.)
- 1 teaspoon fresh dill
- 1/2 lemon
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1/3 small cucumber
- 1 small radish
- 1/4 avocado
- 1/2 cup of spinach
- 1/2 cup of arugula
- Start by washing all fresh ingredients.
- To make the dressing, combine juice from half of a lemon, olive oil and chopped dill into small bowl. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Mix well.
- Once you’ve finished your dressing, combine spinach and arugula into a separate, large bowl
- Next, using a sharp knife, dice the cucumber and thinly slice the radish.
- Half and carefully remove pit from avocado.
- Slice and sdd cucumber, radish and avocado to the bowl with the spinach and arugula.
- Top with smoked salmon, then drizzle with lemon olive oil dressing and enjoy.