June Recipes of the Month
Creamy Parmesan Spinach Squares
Image source: /content/dam/soi/en/web/cms/benefits/stateemployee/bewell/bewellillinoiswebinars/publishingimages/hally-soi.jpg
Image source: /content/dam/soi/en/web/cms/benefits/stateemployee/bewell/foodforthought/publishingimages/june21/food3.jpg
- 20 ounces frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- 1 cup white whole-wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1½ cups (6 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Spray a 13x9-inch baking dish with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- Place chopped spinach in a colander set over a sink or large bowl. Squeeze out as much excess water in spinach as possible. Set aside.
- Whisk together eggs and milk in a medium bowl. Add flour and baking powder to egg mixture. Stir to combine.
- Add cheeses and spinach. Mix until thoroughly combined.
- Transfer mixture to prepared baking dish, spreading evenly.
- Bake for 35 minutes, or until firm and edges are golden brown.
- Let cool 20 minutes. Slice into 24 squares.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
Sparkling Strawberry Mint Water
Image source: /content/dam/soi/en/web/cms/benefits/stateemployee/bewell/foodforthought/publishingimages/june21/food4.jpg
- 3 1/2 cups sparkling water (divided)
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 4 large fresh mint leaves plus 4 mint sprigs (divided)
- 4 large fresh strawberries (stemmed)
- Puree the strawberries, mint leaves, lemon juice, and 1/2 cup of the sparkling water in a blender on low speed until smooth, at least 30 seconds.
- Pour the puree into a serving pitcher. Very slowly pour in the remaining sparkling water.
- Serve chilled over ice in tall beverage glasses. Garnish each with a sprig of fresh mint.