January 2022 Recipes of the Month
Hawaiian Shaved Brussels Sprouts
Brought to you by:
Image source: /content/dam/soi/en/web/cms/benefits/stateemployee/bewell/publishingimages/logos/image12.jpeg
- 16-ounces fresh Brussels sprouts
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (8 oz) can pineapple bits in juice, drained well
- 1 tablespoon chopped macadamia nuts
Image source: /content/dam/soi/en/web/cms/benefits/stateemployee/bewell/foodforthought/publishingimages/january22/food4thought-jan-brussel.jpg
- Cut off the bottom of the Brussels sprouts’ cores, then cut the sprouts into very thin slices with a knife or slice them in a food processor.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, heat the oil until it’s hot. Sauté the Brussels sprouts for 5 to 7 minutes or until they begin to brown, stirring occasionally. For crispier Brussels sprouts, sauté a couple minutes longer.
- Stir in the brown sugar, salt, pepper and pineapple. Cook for 3 to 5 minutes or until heated through. Sprinkle with the macadamia nuts and serve.
Greek Yogurt Panna Cotta with Strawberry Basil
Brought to you by:
Image source: /content/dam/soi/en/web/cms/benefits/stateemployee/bewell/publishingimages/logos/image23.jpg
- 5 teaspoons plain gelatin mix
- 2-1/2 cups whole milk, divided
- 1/4 cup honey
- 4 cups nonfat vanilla Greek yogurt
- 2-1/4 cups diced strawberries
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
Image source: /content/dam/soi/en/web/cms/benefits/stateemployee/bewell/foodforthought/publishingimages/january22/food4thought-jan-yogurt.jpg
- In a small bowl, whisk gelatin in 1/2 cup milk. Allow mixture to sit at room temperature for 10 minutes.
- In a medium saucepan, combine honey and remaining 2 cups of milk and place over medium-low heat. Bring to a simmer. Whisk milk and gelatin mixture into the simmering milk and honey. Whisk in Greek yogurt.
- Divide panna cotta mixture evenly among 9 small 1-cup dishes. Each dish will have about 3/4 cup panna cotta. Cover dishes with plastic wrap and refrigerate about two hours until firm and chilled.
- Prior to serving, toss strawberries, sugar and basil together in a small bowl. Top each panna cotta dish with about 1/4 cup strawberry mixture.