April Recipes of the Month
Simple Persian Salad
Image source: /content/dam/soi/en/web/cms/benefits/stateemployee/bewell/foodforthought/publishingimages/april22/food4thought-apr-salad-4.jpg
- 2 medium cucumbers, unpeeled, seeded and diced
- 4 medium tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 1 medium red onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons fat-free feta cheese, crumbled
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint or parsley or 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon dried mint or parsley, crumbled
- Juice of 2 medium limes
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- In a small bowl, stir together the cucumber, tomatoes, onion, feta and mint. Refrigerate, covered, for 20 minutes.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the lime juice, oil and pepper.
- Pour over the cucumber mixture, tossing to coat.
Breakfast on the Run
Image source: /content/dam/soi/en/web/cms/benefits/stateemployee/bewell/foodforthought/publishingimages/april22/food4thought-apr-muffin-5.jpg
- 4 tablespoons apple butter
- 2 tablespoons Dijon-style mustard
- 3 whole-wheat English muffins, split and lightly toasted
- 6 1/2-ounce slices low-fat, cracked black pepper ham, chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced green onion (scallion) tops
- 3 ounces low-fat sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- In a small bowl, combine apple butter and mustard. Spread 1 tablespoon mixture on each muffin half.
- In another small bowl, combine ham, onion and cheese. Spread each muffin half with this mixture.
- Place muffin halves on a baking sheet and broil in the oven until the topping is bubbly. (Both mixtures may be prepared in advance and stored separately for a quick breakfast.)