April Recipes of the Month
Chicken & Zucchini Casserole
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 large zucchinis, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 large red bell pepper, chopped
- ⅓ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup no-salt-added chicken broth
- 1 cup whole milk
- 3 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese
- 1 ¼ cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- ¾ teaspoon ground pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken to the pan; cook, stirring occasionally, until well browned, about 8 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a medium bowl. Add zucchini and bell pepper to the pan; cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables start to soften, about 4 minutes. Transfer the zucchini mixture to the bowl with the chicken.
- Add the remaining 2 tablespoons butter to the pan. Stir in flour; cook, stirring constantly, until the flour starts to brown, about 1 minute. Add broth and milk; bring to a boil, whisking often. Remove from heat and add cream cheese and 3/4 cup mozzarella; stir until melted. Stir in pepper and salt. Drain liquid from the chicken and vegetable mixture; stir the chicken and vegetables into the cheese sauce. Transfer to a 2-quart baking dish. Place the dish on a foil-lined baking sheet; sprinkle the casserole with the remaining 1/2 cup cheese.
- Bake until the top is browned, and the edges are bubbly, 20 to 25 minutes. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
Grape-Pineapple Mint Fizz
- ½ cup fresh mint leaves
- 1 ½ cups unsweetened grape juice
- 1 (6 ounce) can unsweetened pineapple juice
- 2 cups club soda, chilled
- Ice cubes
- Fresh mint sprigs (optional)
- Place the 1/2 cup mint leaves in a pitcher. Use the back of a large spoon to lightly bruise the leaves. Stir in grape juice and pineapple juice. Cover and chill for 4 to 24 hours.
- Strain mint from grape juice mixture and discard. Stir club soda into juice mixture. Pour into ice-filled glasses and, if desired, garnish with mint sprigs.