January 2023 Recipes of the Month
Hally Health offers a variety of virtual demos and classes through Facebook Live. Among their most popular videos are the live cooking demonstrations, which show you how to prepare simple, healthy and tasty meals. The live cooking demo will post on Facebook.com/HallyHealth at 1 p.m. CT, on the third Wednesday of the month.
Chicken Chili Verde
- 2 15-ounce cans no-salt-added pinto beans, rinsed, divided
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs, trimmed and cut into bite-size pieces
- 2 cups chopped yellow onion (1 medium)
- 2 cups chopped poblano peppers (2 large)
- 5 cloves garlic, chopped (about 1 1/2 tablespoons)
- 4 cups unsalted chicken stock
- 1 1/2 cups prepared salsa Verde
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups frozen corn kernels (about 12 ounces)
- 2 cups chopped spinach (about 2 ounces)
- 1 1/2 cups coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
- 6 tablespoons sour cream
- Mash 1 cup beans in a small bowl with a whisk or potato masher.
- Heat oil in a large heavy pot over high heat. Add chicken; cook until browned, turning occasionally, 4 to 5 minutes. Add onion, poblanos and garlic. Cook until the onion is translucent and tender, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add the remaining whole beans, the mashed beans, stock, salsa and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer until the chicken is cooked through, about 3 minutes. Stir in corn, spinach and cilantro. Cook until the spinach is wilted, about 1 minute. Serve topped with sour cream.
Cantaloupe Smoothie Bowl
- 4 cups frozen cubed cantaloupe (1/2-inch pieces)
- 3/4 cup carrot juice
- Pinch of salt
- Melon balls, berries, nuts and/or fresh basil for garnish
- Combine cantaloupe, juice and salt in a food processor or high-speed blender.
- Alternate between pulsing and blending, stopping to stir and scrape down the sides as needed, until thick and smooth, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Serve the smoothie topped with more melon, berries, nuts and/or basil, if desired.