October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month
October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month. Finding breast cancer early is the best way to prevent deaths from breast cancer. Getting regular screening tests is the best way to find breast cancer early. About 1 in 8 American women will get breast cancer at some point in their lives. Each year about 280,000 new cases of invasive breast cancer are diagnosed in the U.S. Breast cancer death rates for women are higher than any cancer besides lung cancer.
Recommendations for women at average breast cancer risk:
- If you are between the ages of 50 and 74, get a mammogram at least every two years.
- If you are 40 to 49, talk with your health care provider about the risks and benefits of mammography and when you should get screened.
Screening mammograms are covered at no cost when performed by a provider in your health plan’s network. Coverage may vary for preventive care services with no member cost share, depending on your specific benefit plan and whether you use network providers. If you have questions, call the customer service number on your member ID card.
Your health care provider may do additional tests if you have family members with a history of breast, ovarian, tubal or peritoneal cancer. These additional tests can show if this family history will put you at higher risk for breast cancer. You may have out-of-pocket costs for these additional tests.
Talk to your health care provider about breast cancer, your risk factors and your family medical history. Visit our breast cancer section for more information about breast cancer prevention and treatment, living with breast cancer, and helpful tips.
For information on breast cancer screenings and additional resources, visit here.
Brought to you by:
- Breast & Ovarian Cancer Resources | Aetna
- Breast Cancer Diagnosis: Now What? - Connect Community - BCBSIL
- Wellness Rewards (healthalliance.org)
- Simple Steps To Reduce Your Cancer Risk | HealthLink
- Beyond Pink – More Ways to Promote Breast Cancer Awareness - Hally Health
- Aetna - Breast Cancer Screening (illinois.gov)