June is Men’s Health Awareness Month
Strength in Health: Men’s Health Matters
Studies show men are less likely to seek medical care for a number of reasons. Some avoid care because they feel fine. Others are nervous about an exam or what it might reveal. Some men even see medical care as a sign of weakness. However, staying healthy is a sign of strength. It’s important to keep your whole health in check.
Be sure to get your yearly preventive exam and any screenings your doctor may recommend. Screenings can help find health problems early when they’re easiest to treat. Early treatment can help you save money on future health care costs. More importantly, it can also help save your life.
Think about your total well-being. Here are some focus areas for men:
- Take care of your heart: Even if you don’t have symptoms, men are at greater risk for heart disease. Make sure to get your blood pressure checked.
- Get screened: Getting checked for colorectal cancer becomes more important as you grow older. Recommended screenings begin at age 45.
- Recognize your feelings: Depression affects both men and women, but men are less likely to talk about their feelings or get treatment. Know the signs and talk to your doctor with concerns.
- Reach out to friends: Friends are often tied to common interests like a hobby, sports, raising children or jobs. That means they can change over time, making them harder to keep. Make time for others even if it’s virtually. Friendships can have a positive impact on your health.
- Stay involved: Find your passion. Talk to people who share your interests, learn a new skill, go back to school or find other ways to help people in your community.
- Be fiscally fit: Plan for your future and invest each month in a retirement savings plan. Even a small amount adds up over time.
Brought to you by:
- National Mens Health Month Time To Man Up About Eating Right | Hally
- Strength in Health - Mens Health Matters | Aetna
- Eye Site On Wellness: Men, vision health and the big 5
- Blue Door Neighborhood Center - Morgan Park - Senior Wellness Video | BCBSIL
- Men: A Single Step Can Set You Up for Better Health All Year - Connect Community | BCBSIL