Eligible dependents of a member may participate in the same health, dental and vision plans as the member. For this reason, members wishing to add a dependent who is not enrolled in Medicare Parts A and B must disenroll from the Medicare Advantage plan in which they are enrolled and, instead, enroll in one of the non-Medicare Advantage health plans under the College Insurance Program (CIP). If adding a non-Medicare dependent outside the annual fall Open Enrollment Period, the member must have a "qualifying-change-in-status" event and must request the addition within 30 days of the event occurring. You must notify MyBenefits Service Center (MBSC) of your qualifying-change-in-status event by going online at MyBenefits.illinois.gov, or by calling 844-251-1777 M-F, 8:00 AM - 6:00 PM CT. You will be required to provide eligibility documentation within the allotted time frame.
Documentation requirements must be met for the dependent to be added to and/or remain on the coverage. Dependents, in certain categories, must certify eligibility each year. Eligible dependents of the member include:
- Spouse (does not include ex-spouses, common-law spouses, a new spouse of a survivor or persons not legally married).
- Parent. Parent must be dependent upon the member for more than one-half of their support and eligible to be claimed by the member as a dependent for income tax purposes.
- Civil Union Partner (Same-Sex or Opposite-Sex).
- Child from birth up to age 26, including:
- Natural child.
- Adopted child.
- Stepchild or child of a civil union partner. Child for whom the employee has permanent legal guardianship.
- Adjudicated child for whom a U.S. court decree has established a member’s financial responsibility for the child’s medical, dental, or other healthcare.
- Dependent aged 26 and older, including:
- Disabled. Child aged 26 or older who is continuously disabled from a cause originating prior to age 26. In addition, for tax years in which the child is age 27 or above, eligible to be claimed as a dependent for income tax purposes by the employee.
- Adult Veteran Child (non-IRS). Unmarried adult child aged 26 up to, but not including, age 30, an Illinois resident and has served as a member of the active or reserve components of any of the branches of the U.S. Armed Forces and received a release or discharge other than a dishonorable discharge.