Skip to main content

CIP Frequently Asked Questions

1) Who do I contact for more information about my benefits or to make changes to my existing coverage?

Contact SURS regarding enrollment, eligibility or to change your address. If SURS does not have your current address on file, you could miss important benefit information. Contact CMS for general information on coverage and benefits. For specific information on managed care plans, contact the plan administrator.

2) Do I get a new medical and prescription drug identification card every plan year?

The only times you will receive an identification card are when you first enroll in the plan, if you change plans, if the plan administrator changes or if you request new cards. If you lose your identification card(s), you may request a replacement card(s) from your health and prescription drug plan administrator.

3) I know managed care plans have geographic limitations. Will I have to change plans if I move?

If your current plan is available at your new location, you will remain under that plan unless your HMO's primary care physician (PCP) is not accessible to you. Your HMO plan determines whether your PCP continues to be accessible. If your PCP is not accessible, you will need to select a new PCP or change plans. If you move out-of-state or out of the country, you may need to enroll in the CCHP or one of the open access plans (OAP).

4) What if I want to terminate either my or my enrolled dependents' coverage under CIP?

Notify SURS in writing of your decision to terminate coverage. Cancellation will be effective the first of the month following receipt of the request. You can only re-enroll yourself or your dependent upon turning 65 or if your coverage is terminated by your existing plan.

5) What should I, or my dependent, do when we turn 65 or become eligible for Medicare due to a medical condition (Medicare Disability or Medicare ESRD)?

In most cases, you must enroll in both Medicare Parts A and B and send a copy of your Medicare card to SURS. If you or your dependent are actively working and eligible for Medicare or you have additional questions about this requirement, contact the Group Insurance Division, Medicare COB Unit at 1-800-442-1300, or their direct access line at (217) 782-7007.