Skip to main content

Dependent Coverage

Eligible dependents of a member may participate in the same health plan as the member. For this reason, members wishing to add a dependent that is not enrolled in Medicare Parts A and B must disenroll from the Medicare Advantage plan in which they are enrolled and, instead, enroll in one of the non-Medicare Advantage health plans under the Teachers' Retirement Insurance Program (TRIP).  If adding a non-Medicare dependent outside the annual fall Open Enrollment Period, the member must have a qualifying change in status event and must request the addition within 30 days of the event occurring. You must notify MyBenefits Service Center (MBSC) of your qualifying-change-in-status event by going online at, or by calling 844-251-1777 M-F, 8:00 AM - 6:00 PM CT.  You will be required to provide eligibility documentation within the allotted time frame.

Documentation requirements must be met in order for the dependent to be added to and/or remain on the coverage. Dependent in certain categories must certify eligibility each year. Eligible dependents of the member include:

  • Spouse (does not include ex-spouses, common-law spouses, a new spouse of a survivor or persons not legally married).
  • Parent.  Parent must be dependent upon the member for more than one-half of their support and eligible to be claimed by the member as a dependent for income tax purposes.
  • Civil Union Partner (Same-Sex or Opposite-Sex).
  • Child from birth up to age 26, including:
    • Natural child.
    • Adopted child.
    • Stepchild or child of a civil union partner. Child for whom the employee has permanent legal guardianship.
    • Adjudicated child for whom a U.S. court decree has established a member’s financial responsibility for the child’s medical, dental, or other healthcare.
  • Dependent aged 26 and older, including:
    • Disabled. Child aged 26 or older who is continuously disabled from a cause originating prior to age 26. In addition, for tax years in which the child is age 27 or above, eligible to be claimed as a dependent for income tax purposes by the employee.
    • Adult Veteran Child (non-IRS). Unmarried adult child aged 26 up to, but not including, age 30, an Illinois resident and has served as a member of the active or reserve components of any of the branches of the U.S. Armed Forces and received a release or discharge other than a dishonorable discharge. Note: The premium for non-IRS Adult Veteran Children is 100% of the cost of coverage (member portion plus the State contribution), regardless of the number of dependents enrolled on the member’s coverage.