Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA) Program
The State of Illinois provides employees with IRS tax-favored Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA) to stretch medical expenses and dependent care dollars. Optum Financial ConnectYourCare is the plan administrator for the FSA Program. Flexible Spending Accounts feature:
- IRS-approved reimbursement of eligible expenses tax-free
- Per-pay period deposits from your pre-tax salary
- Savings on income and Social Security taxes
- Security of paying anticipated eligible expenses with your FSA
If you spend $265 or more per year on recurring eligible expenses, you may save money by paying for them with an FSA. When you enroll in an FSA, you decide the amount you want to deduct from your salary each pay period. That amount will be deducted each pay period prior to income and Social Security taxes being taken, saving you income and Social Security taxes each time you receive wages. Visit the "Account Savings Calculators" at Optum Financial ConnectYourCare to determine your potential savings.
Waiting for an Explanation of Benefits (EOB) to file for MCAP reimbursement? Find out what you should do by going to the Explanation of Benefits page.
- The Medical Care Assistance Plan (MCAP) allows members to pay eligible out-of-pocket medical, dental, prescription, and vision expenses incurred during the plan year with tax-free dollars. The maximum annual contribution for FY23 is $2,850.
- The Dependent Care Assistance Plan (DCAP) allows members to pay eligible child and/or adult daycare expenses incurred during the plan year with tax-free dollars. The maximum contribution amount per plan year is $5,000.
Employees can enroll in MCAP and DCAP anytime during the year upon experiencing a qualifying change in status event that is consistent with enrollment into the program. All employees who enroll in MCAP will receive one Optum Financial/ConnectYourCare debit card at no cost (additional cards for dependents can be requested via the Optum Financial website). When using the card, expenses are automatically deducted from your MCAP account. Although most transactions paid with the card do not need follow-up documentation, some transactions will require substantiation documentation. Transactions that do require documentation will be indicated on the Optum Financial website. Participants must submit the required documentation to Optum Financial/ConnectYourCare.
The first day you are eligible for MCAP or DCAP reimbursement depends on when you enroll in the program.
- If you enroll during the Benefit Choice Period (held during the month of May), your effective date is July 1st.
- If you enroll mid-year due to experiencing a qualifying event, your effective date is the date of the event.
Eligibility Service Dates and Claims Reimbursement
Eligibility Service Dates and Claims Reimbursement
- MCAP accounts – the entire amount of your annual enrollment election is eligible for reimbursement on your first day of eligibility.
- DCAP accounts – reimbursement is limited to the amount of funds in your account on the day the reimbursement request is received.
- Services are only eligible for reimbursement when provided during the plan year (July 1 through June 30). Services provided after June 30th are not eligible for reimbursement unless the participant enrolls for the next plan year.
- MCAP participants may "rollover" up to $550.00 of their leftover FY22 account balance after the run-out period ending September 30, 2022.
- Eligible participants must re-enroll in MCAP for the new plan year to qualify for the rollover benefit.
FSA Claim Reimbursements
Reimbursement of MCAP or DCAP funds must be requested before the end of the run-out period each year, which is September 30th. Only expenses incurred on or before June 30th will be eligible for reimbursement. Participants can request reimbursement of eligible funds by:
- Uploading documents via the Optum Financial | ConnectYourCare website or by using the mobile app available on your phone.
- Entering claim details on the Optum Financial | ConnectYourCare claim form and either:
- Faxing the form to 443-681-4602, or
- Mailing the form to Claims Department, PO Box 622317, Orlando, FL 32862-2317
Reimbursement may be direct deposited in your bank account by logging into your account on the Optum Financial website and adding your bank account information in "Account Settings and Preferences."
Reimbursement of MCAP or DCAP funds must be requested before the end of the run-out period each year, which is September 30th. Only expenses incurred on or before June 30th will be eligible for reimbursement. To request reimbursement of eligible funds, participants can:
- Enter claim details on the Optum Financial ConnectYourCare claim form and either:
- Fax the form to 443-681-4602, or
- Mail the form to Claims Department, PO Box 622317, Orlando, FL 32862-2317
- Upload documents via the Optum Financial ConnectYourCare website or by using the mobile app available on your phone.
Reimbursement may be direct deposited in your bank account by going to "My Profile" and setting up a bank account in your personal portal at the Optum Financial website.